Wednesday 6 February 2013

First Reflection on THE ENGLISH PATIENT


The novel that I have elaborately chosen to read is called The English Patient. It is a 1992 novel by Sri Lankan-Canadian novelist Michael Ondaatje. After a brief research, I surprisingly found myself determined to read this Canadian novel not only because that it has won the Canadian Governor Generals Award and the Booker Prize for fiction, but also because that it was adapted into an award-winning film of the same name in 1996. Moreover, since I am very engaged in the historical events of the Second World War, which have been introduced to me in Social Studies, I am eagerly seeking for more stories that take place during that era. Through reading this novel, I hope to get a better sense of the WWII. Last but not least, at this very moment, my inquiry question is how love cures a man, who is both physically and mentally damaged by a brutal war.


4 comments:

  1. Awesome :D I think we will engage more knowledge and better understanding of WW2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the inquiry. The sophisticated story line hold many possibilities of branching into different themes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems a lot of people are hoping to learn more about the Second World War and its historical significance beyond our textbook or social studies class.I find the same hope to learn about history through my novel too! Also your inquiry question is very well thought of. It is tempting me to read the book, just so I can find out myself :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. My novel talks about world war one and I find that books in this genre are interesting in that it combines facts that we learn in socials into a realistic experience that we can read about.

    ReplyDelete