Saturday 2 March 2013

Ninth Reflection on THE ENGLISH PATIENT









My last inquiry of my last reflection on The English Patient is purely for myself: if I were Almasy, would I have the courage to live on?
I struggled to persuade myself into believing that I can be as tough as the English patient, accepting and coping with reality. Yet, to be honest, my final answer is a definite no.
Although severely disfigured and disabled, Almasy still does not give up on his life. Overwhelmed by Hana’s care and love, his broken heart gradually begins to seam piece by piece. Hana once again gives him the confident to believe in the existence of good force in the middle of a brutal war. However, there is still nothing he can look forward to; even the end of the war does not mean anything to his distorted soul and damaged body. He has no dream, no hope, and no future…
            If I were Almasy, I would have killed myself after the plane accident. Why would I live with a disfigured face, which myself cannot even recognize? I cannot think of any rationale behind keeping myself alive when everything good about life is gone forever. What is the point of living when one’s memories are torn into pieces, body is destroyed by a plane crash, and soul is abused by the war—what is the point of living? I cannot live a day without hope and dream, which keep me moving forward even when I am exhausted.
            From reading the life of Almasy from multi-perspectives, I finally realized that the only real challenge of life is to learn to be strong and stay strong. The world never ends as long as the sun still rises in the next morning.  

8 comments:

  1. LIfe is full of challenges and obstacles everyday. Giving up hope nad killing yourself is not the best of way of approaching it. From what hashappened to Almasy we are well aware that he has lost pretty much everything. But after rain there is always sunshine. Always be optimistic, you never know what will happen tmrw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely. That is the most valuable thing I derived from the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it sounds like Almasy is a very courageous, strong man. I don't blame you for thinking such way. If I was in that situation I would have thought and done the same thing as you said. It's just important to come to realize that life's more valuable than it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely Agree with you, Life has its ups and downs but its also beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your inquiry question, you basically just put yourself in the main character's shoes. That's good! I'm glad to find that someone in this class actually took the time to consider their reaction or emotion to the situation of the main character. Anyways, it seems like you were able to relate and connect to the book despite the raising of yourself and Almasy in very contrasting time periods.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for all your very thoughtful comments and your approval on my reflection!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thoroughly enjoyed the reflective nature of your posts. Very thoughtful. It's what's learning's all about! You have some good activity going on, on your blog! way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your approval!! I actually really enjoy maintaining and decorating my blog! Thank you for introducing me to the world of blogs!

      Delete